Suge Knight Pleads Not Guilty to Murder
Former Death Row Records chief Marion “Suge” Knight has pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges in connection to an incident where he ran over two men in January, killing one. He also faces charges of attempted murder and hit-and-run. CNN reports that Los Angeles County Judge Ronald Coen placed his bail at $10 million. Knight faces a life sentence if convicted.
Knight’s trial will begin on July 7th, according to The Associated Press, providing no lawyers move to have it start at a later date. Coen has reserved 16 court days for the trial and expects jurors to be pre-screened before the start date. Knight will be back in court on May 16th, when the lawyer representing Knight, Matthew Fletcher, will attempt to get the case dismissed.
Fletcher claims that Knight was fleeing an ambush when he hit Terry Carter, killing him, and Cle “Bone” Sloan, injuring him, with his vehicle in Compton, California this past January. Coen surveyed the evidence and decided that Knight would stand trial on the three charges earlier this month.
Fletcher asked for Coen’s bail to be reduced to $5 million, but the judge refused. Nevertheless, Fletcher told The New York Daily News Thursday that he expected boxer Floyd Mayweather would post the record exec’s bail. “We think Mr. Mayweather is going to win the championship and then come champion the day again,” Fletcher said, referring to the boxer’s upcoming match with Manny Pacquiao. “They’re good friends…. We believe it will happen.”
Sloan gave testimony in mid-April that he punched Knight the day of the incident, but he said he would refuse to identify Knight in trial since he didn’t want to be a “snitch.” “I will not be used to send Suge Knight to prison,” he said at the time.