See Laura Bell Bundy’s ‘Sound of Music’ Inspired New Video
In the five years since Broadway veteran Laura Bell Bundy broke into country music’s Top Five with her album Achin’ and Shakin’, fans of the Kentucky native have seen her in various acting roles, from Anger Management to How I Met Your Mother, but hadn’t heard much about her music. That began to change earlier this month when the bubbly blonde announced her upcoming LP, Another Piece of Me, set for release June 9th on Big Machine Records.
And although the title of her new single and video, “I Am What I Am,” may at first conjure up images of Popeye, the singer-actress is actually channeling Julie Andrews’ Maria in The Sound of Music — she sings from a Swiss mountaintop in key scenes from the gorgeous clip. Directed by Becky Fluke, “I Am What I Am” was filmed while Bundy was in Switzerland to perform at a country-music event, and has the singer delivering the inspirational lyrics — about living life to the fullest and staying true to one’s self — while her co-stars hold up signs describing some of their own key traits like “strong” or “silly.”
“There is not another place in nature I feel more connected to my higher source than in the mountains,” Bundy said in a statement. “So when I found out I’d be performing at the Gstaad Country Music Festival – in the midst of the Alps and the same setting as my favorite film, The Sound of Music – I was stoked. Filming in the same place Maria von Trapp sang seemed like the perfect place to tell that story, a story about being OK with being yourself and feeling free. I want to send the message that being who you are is not only a beautiful courageous thing, it’s a necessary thing.”
Of the LP’s 15 tracks, Bundy co-wrote more than half, with songwriters including Sugarland’s Kristian Bush, Jay DeMarcus of Rascal Flatts, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne, Barry Dean, Natalie Hemby and Ashley Monroe also contributing to the project.
Bundy will be in Nashville Friday, June 12th, for CMA Music Festival, performing on the Belk Park Stage.
Here’s the track listing to Another Piece of Me:
1. “Love Me Like a Lady” (Laura Bell Bundy, Jerry Flowers, Chris DeStefano)
2. “Two Step” (featuring Colt Ford) (Laura Bell Bundy, Andy Davis, Colt Ford, Lance Kotara, Adam McInnis, Bryan Ray)
3. “Happy Yet” (David Frasier, Craig Wiseman)
4. “She Only Wants to Dance” (Jerry Flowers, Ashley Gorley)
5. “China and Wine” (Laura Bell Bundy, Leah Crutchfield, Natalie Hemby)
6. “Let’s Pretend We’re Married” (Laura Bell Bundy, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne)
7. “I Am What I Am” (Caitlyn Smith, Gordie Sampson, Troy Verges)
8. “That’s What Angels Do” (Michael Dulaney, John Mabe, Jason Sellers)
9. “Making Me Feel” (Laura Bell Bundy, Patrick Davis, Jerry Flowers)
10. “Kentucky Dirty” (busbee, Barry Dean, Laura Bell Bundy)
11. “Give My Broken Heart a Break” (Laura Bell Bundy, Jay DeMarcus, Jason Sellers)
12. “Maps Out the Window” (Sarah Buxton, Nathan Chapman, Blair Daly)
13. “Missin’ Me Yet” (Laura Bell Bundy, Derek George, Tim Owens)
14. “Another Piece of Me” (Laura Bell Bundy, Kristian Bush, Blair Daly)
15. “Wait Until the Sun Goes Down” (Angelo Petraglia, Hillary Lindsey, Ashley Monroe)