Lil B Escapes House Fire Thanks to Teenage Neighbor
Lil B escaped a two-alarm fire early Thursday morning that burned through half of the Concord, California duplex the rapper was living in. The prolific mixtape star was alerted about the fire by his 15-year-old neighbor Mateo Ysmael, who pounded on Lil B’s door after the fire began to spread. “I’m grateful to be alive,” Lil B told the Contra Costa Times. “If that kid didn’t come knocking on my door…”
The Based God also told the newspaper that the fire burned much of his stage costumes and some of his music, but most of his property wasn’t damaged. Thankfully, all seven occupants in the duplex at the time managed to escape the fire. However, one firefighter was injured and hospitalized after they were hit by a falling tile while attempting to control the blaze; his condition was not revealed.
In a series of tweets following the fire, Lil B wrote, “Thank you to the contra costa county fire department! For helping and loving me, thanks to the battalion chief and red cross thank u… Still in shock about the fire that was not my fault this is a game changer and wake up everyone who does not care about me thank you… Nothing is better then support and love thank you all for the respect i appreciate you, the fire will not stop me, not even the fire.”
On Instagram, the rapper also shared a brief video of the fire consuming the building plus the aftermath.
THE FIRE WILL NOT STOP ME EARTH LOVES US – Lil B
Battalion Chief Lon Goetsch told the Contra Costa Times that the blaze started in the garage of Ysmael’s unit and quickly spread. While a firewall separates the two units, the two-alarm fire was strong enough to bleed through. “But the firewall slowed it down enough, and we were able to knock it down quickly enough that it didn’t spread to the downstairs,” Goestch said.
Following the incident, Lil B has been asking his million-plus followers to send some monetary support through the rapper’s PayPal.